California DMV, Round 1: Wait 3 weeks for an appointment and arrive to learn that the licensing system is down statewide and there will be no processing of drivers licenses today. Spend 2 hours attempting to register the car, but am asked to come back with *one* more form. Am told cheerfully that the next available appointment is in 2 weeks. Cheerfulness is not fully reciprocated.
California DMV, Round 2: Determined to risk an interminable wait and endure the no appointment line, wake up early, pack snacks, hydration and entertainment. Get in the car and discover that the registration paperwork is in the other car, which is with my husband, now 15 miles down the interstate. Concede to the universe and come back inside.
silver Nutella lining? Pulling dough out of the refrigerator and making these guys before 8am. And with that, I hereby claim this morning a success.
Gussied up with some toasted hazelnut chunks, this is a simply adapted recipe from the almost unbelievably simple original by Ambitious Kitchen. I’ve used the original as my go-to emergency cookie recipe for a few years, since, in a pinch, they can be made start to finish in less than an hour. And if I’ve learned anything about emergency preparedness in my days, it’s that, when it comes to natural disasters (or impromptu dinner guests, bad days, break-ups, Netflix marathons or other cataclysmic events), cookies are just as, if not more (!) important as water, flashlights and beef jerky.
After you get over how incredibly easy these are, you should prepare yourself for the wonderment that comes when you realize that, while they may look like cookies, they are actually fudge in disguise. And if we’re really honest with ourselves, isn’t that all any of us have ever truly wanted?
And with that, I’ll leave you to it. I’m off to prepare for DMV, Round 3. Speaking of which, does anyone know the maximum penalty for bribing state licensing employees with cookies? I’m asking for a friend.
Nutella Cookies with Hazelnut Chunks
Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen’s Easy 5-Ingredient Fudgy Nutella Cookies with Sea Salt
- 1 cup Nutella*
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp table salt*
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- Coarse sea salt
- In a pan over medium-low heat, toast hazelnuts until golden brown, shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely. Once cool, rub between your fingers to remove loose skin before chopping coarsely.
- In a standing mixer, mix Nutella, brown sugar and egg until smooth.
- Add flour a little at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add hazelnuts to the mix and stir to combine.
- Cover the bowl and tuck away in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and placed on a lined baking pan.
- Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Sprinkle generously with sea salt and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- This is not a drill. Inclusion of a full cup of Nutella is not a typo.
- If you choose to go without chopped hazelnuts, you can omit the table salt.
- In a serious bind, you can refrigerate for 15-30 minutes. The longer these stay in the fridge, the longer they need to bake. I kept mine in the fridge overnight (compliments of becoming overly invested in an episode of Newsroom) and baked them for ~13 minutes.